From:
Betty Brewer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 19:17:56 EST
Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:10:32 -0500
From:    Carol Ely <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: "open" to the public

Is there an official definition of "open to the public"?

Carol:

You may have recieved plenty of responses by now but I've been out of touch
for awhile. IMLS defines open and providing museum services to the general
public as"an institution which exhibits objects to the general public for at
least 120 days a year"  They do not define how many hours are in a day but
will question anything that appears really small. If your hours by
appointment easily meet this criteria, I would take that to your potential
funder along with the argument that their support will help you reach your
goalor more hours, etc. etc.

I know the Portland Museum has received IMLS funds in the past (about 10
years ago) and I understand there have been some rocky times in the interim.
Maybe using no. of days, no. of people, perhaps diversity of groups? will
help you make your case.

Good luck,

Betty Brewer
Exec. Director