From:
Patricia Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 1996 21:22:42 GMT
At Buckinghamshire County Museum, we use a form based upon the
Museum Documentation Association's entry form (I think you
can see that on the WWW, possibly as part of the Spectrum
document).
As this form doesn't include copyright, we added, to the line
'I have the power to give/sell the following items' the line
'and associated copyright', and to the line which says
'I give/sell/bequeathe the items above' the words 'and
associated copyright'.
The form allows for the depositor to be different from the owner
(in which case, we send a copy of the top sheet for the
owner to sign), and also for the copyright owner to be a
third person:

Depositor:  Name, phone, address
Owner    :  Name, phone, address
Copyright owner: Name, phone, address.

This form is completed for _all_ potential gifts (including
bequests) sales, staff collections and so on.  Where the owner
is clearly not the copyright owner (in the case of, say,
a bisquit tin, where the copyright will be owned by the
manufacturer, then the 'Copyright owner' part is filled in
with 'Not donor - possibly manufacturer?' or whatever.

In cases where the copyright owner does not wish to give
copyright, or where the owner isn't known, then the parts of
the form regarding the sale/giving of copyright are simply
struck through.

--
Patricia Reynolds
Keeper of Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum,

16 Gibsons Green
Heelands
Milton Keynes
MK13 7NH