From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:33:17 -0500
The short answer is NO there are no safe, non-destructive methods that
repel squirrels.

Perhaps you should consult with a museum pest control expert (Tom Parker?
Wendy Jessup?)for insight on how to prevent them from entering your space
in the first place. I have visions of copper wool in your future.

There are a handful of really good books on pest control for
museums...naturally my copies are not where I am...but University Products
carries them. You might try Conservation ONLine (just google it) and
search there.

And, you're right, gasoline is full of bad stuff. That's no reason to
scoff at the carcogenic properties of either PDB or Naphthalene. In
addition, both have the potential to damage museum collections pretty
badly. They change dye colors, melt plastics, embrittle other
materials....in all not appropriate materials for humans or objects. Plus,
it's an old wives tale--They don't really work on squirrels (or skunks or
mice.)

You might want to check out Arts, Crafts, and Theater Safety (Monona
Rossol) for more information on the harmful effects of, and why you should
care about, a variety of every day materials. <http://www.caseweb.com/acts>

Diane Gutenkauf

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:41:21 -0500, Scott Dwyer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>>Before you start scattering paradichlorobenzene or naphthalene around
>your storage areas, please go to www.msdsonline and get Material Safety
>Data Sheets on these substances. I suspect that you won't want to use
>them after that, particularly naphthalene.
>
>I appreciate the warning, and urge everyone to be aware of safety risks
>in everything they do.>

...snip...