From:
Allison Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 1994 19:05:00 CDT
       >>Does anyone know if something like this exists for museum objects
(other than rare books?>  I'd be curious to look at it
Allison Smith
UW-Madison, Dept. of Library and Information Studies

      MISSING/STOLEN BOOKS CLEARINGHOUSE NOW AVAILABLE

Every year hundreds of thousands of books, manuscripts, photographs, color
plates, maps, and other rare and valuable items are stolen from museums,
libraries, book shops, and private collections. Most of these are stolen only
to be sold to unsuspecting collectors, dealers, and institutions.  As these
thefts have reached epidemic proportions, many people have expressed a desire
for a central clearinghouse which would list such items in an easily
searchable database and provide an easy means to contribute new items.

Previously available only to subscribers, the Interloc "Missing and Stolen
Books" database is now offered as a free service to the antiquarian, library
and collector communities at large.   Items listed have the usual
bibliographical description: author, title, edition, place and date of
publication, publisher, notes, and other pertinent information.  The database
is searchable on all fields, including submission date.  Each record also
lists the name, address, and phone/fax of the person, business, or
institution that has submitted the item, as well as a case number for items
reported to law enforcement agencies.

Direct Dial Access:  Interloc will provide, without charge, IBM-PC software
which includes an easy-to-use database and a special telecommunications
program.

Internet Access:  Currently limited to e-mail; address: [log in to unmask]
Telnet and FTP capability will be added by year's end.  Send items to be
listed in the following format (an actual listing is provided as an example):

HOW A RECORD MIGHT APPEAR ON THE INTERLOC SYSTEM:

 USER_REC: STOLENBK000006   LIST_DATE: 08121944
   AUTHOR: Twain, Mark (Samuel L. Clemens)
    TITLE: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
PUBLISHER: Chas L. Webster
PLACE_PUB: New York
 DATE_PUB: 1885.
  EDITION: 1st American
CONDITION: Fine, fresh copy bound by Bayntun.
 COMMENTS: Full dark green morocco, all edges gilt. Contact: Houle Gallery
           7260 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90036 213-937-5858
  KEYWORD: American Literature
LISTED BY: Richard M. Weatherford, Interloc, Inc., P.O. Box 5. Southworth,
           WA 98386 PHONE: (206) 871-3617 FAX: (206) 871-5626

HOW THIS RECORD WOULD HAVE BEEN SENT:

Subject: Missing and Stolen
Body:

UR|STOLENBK000006
AA|Twain, Mark (Samuel L. Clemens)
TI|Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
PU|Chas L. Webster
PP|New York
DP|1885
ED|1st American
CN|Fine, fresh copy bound by Bayntun.
NC|Full dark green morocco, all edges gilt. Contact: Houle Gallery
NC|7260 Beverly Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90036 213-937-5858
KE|American Literature

THE UIEE PREFIX CODES ARE:

AA| Author
AI| Illustator
BD| Binding
CI| Catalog/ISBN
CN| Condition
DP| Date Published
ED| Edition
KE| Keywords (insert up to 9 lines)
MT| Main Topic
NC| Comments (insert as many lines as needed)
NT| Notes (insert as many lines as needed)
PP| Place Published
PU| Publisher
TI| Title
TP| Size/Type
UR| Your record number

You may include as many items as you wish.  Be sure to separate each item
with a blank line.  For more information, please contact:

Interloc, Inc.
PO Box 5
Southworth, WA 98386
206.871.3617