From:
Bill LeFurgy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:09:41 -0400
>Someone forwarded me a message that reviewed the new NEA web site, but the
review >no where mentioned its URL.  The person who originally sent it to me
received it >from someone else, and neither have the URL. Might someone out
there have it?

Here is a review of the NEA www site from the latest "Culture in Cyberspace"
Newsletter.  The URLs for NEA & another review in the NY Times are included.

NEA OPENS WEB SITE
The long-suffering U.S. National Endowment for the Arts has finally
made its way into cyberspace.  Using only a few graphics, the site
is decidedly modest and offers nothing in the least bit controversial.
Standard details are given regarding the agency's organization,
history, and recent activities.  A section known as arts.community
provides the site's most unique content.  Looking something like an
online publication, arts.community promises periodic write-ups
about the grants process.  It also aims to serve as "a
communications vehicle and resource for artists, arts organizations
and the public where we can build a better community through
sharing ideas, stories, technological  advances, discussions, model
programs and connections."  Current articles cover the arts in
Pittsburgh, digital cash and its impact on artists, and use of the
Internet for arts purposes in Texas.   A written work by Featured
Artist Anna Deveare Smith, "Metaphor's Funeral," is presented.
Interestingly, the New York Times notes that the NEA is not yet
wired -- even for e-mail -- and is unable to conduct any grants
activity online.  Yet, this probably is least among the agency's
concerns, given its recent 40 per cent budget reduction.
NEA: <http://arts.endow.gov/>
NYT: <http://www.nytimes.com/library/cyber/mirapaul/0411mirapaul.html>
|Bill LeFurgy        |  Culture in Cyberspace Weekly e-mail Newsletter  |
[log in to unmask]  |  Subscribe now -- it's free                      |
|(301) 230-0880      |  http://www.radix.net/~wlefurgy/welcome.htm      |