From:
Barbra Brady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:04:07 -0600
As a curator/writer on contemporary art and exhibitions (I am not a visual
artist myself), I have heard artists protest, and seen them flinch, when
asked for artist statements, or asked to entertain a discussion about their
background, or work.

I have heard it, seen it, enough times to usually expect this from working
artists. A colleague who is both a working curator and artist (so, he does
both, create his work, and interpret that of others) once said (in mild
contest to artists being asked for statements):
"Are writers asked to draw an image of what they write about?"

I am sensitive to artists' position on...labeling.--funny, the second
connotation--, but in my work, I of course draw upon my background &
studies, and my "skills" or "talents" of observation, to, to paraphrase
Julia, be the conduit between artist and viewer...prompt the ponder.

And, to throw another possibly(?) unrelated curve (it's that time of year
for some of us), I am crazy about post season baseball, and do enjoy
commentary as opposed to watching the game with the sound muted.

Barbra Brady
Independent curator and writer