From:
RANDALL HEES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:05:06 -0700
The first step would be to look for historic paint by cratering, scraping a hole through all
layers of existing paint, then sanding out (feathering) the edges of the hole to expose the
various layers of paint.  You then look at the exposed layers with a magnifying glass, and record
your findings.  Generally you do a series of samples, both on the walls and on the trim, in
several if not all rooms.

This is a standard technique used by architectural historians and paint researchers.

It was common to allow plaster walls to age before painting, but typically that was a one  year
delay, not years.

There are better modern historic paint chip sets than the Sherwin Williams set… they were once the
leader but their colors have drifted as paints have been reformulated.  I have been using Benjamin
Moore, based on their dark colors better matching the deep colors found, without going gray or
muddy, but they recently dropped a couple of the paints bases I have used…

You may want to get Roger Moss’ Paint in America, the colors of Historic Buildings, John Wiley &
Sons ISBN 0-471-14411-8, and Roger Moss and Gail Caskey Winkler’s Victorian Exterior Decoration
ISBN 0-8050-2313-5.  This book, while not about interiors, is a better resource for paint
sampling…  I believe both are still in print.

My personal thought… If you are preserving the building as a historic court house, its not about
justifying a color…  It should be about painting the building colors chosen based on researching
the original colors.  If on the other hand you are using the old building adaptively as a museum
or gallery space, then chose the best colors for the new use.

You might want to contact the San Mateo County Historical Society in Redwood City
California…http://www.historysmc.org/  they are now located in the counties old 1910 court house.

Randy Hees
Patterson House at Ardenwood Historic Farm
City of Fremont, California