From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:37:19 -0400
At 09:06 AM 7/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>        Please, it was not that long a message and many people, I'm sure,
found it
>interesting and informative.  One major purpose of the list and the web is
>disseminating information quickly to large numbers of widely dispersed
>people.  We cannot reduce the use of the web to the lowest level of
>technology potentailly in the loop without giving up a large part of this
>potential.  I found the complaint to be rather mean spirited and much more
>of a problem than the post.

*sigh*  You've probably never been out of the continental US have you?  In
some parts of the world, and not just darkest Africa, the most current
technology they have are 386s.  Heck, when I worked at the Smithsonian, I
knew plenty of people who were still working with 286s and whole offices
that didn't have access to e-mail.

Never assume that just because you can access some information, every other
person that is on the list can as well.  I'd bet there are a fair number of
people who only have text browsers for the web and have to put up with 2400
baud connections, right here in the US let alone the rest of the world.

And I find this attitude of "well everyone else didn't think it was too
long and had no problems with it" a bit troubling and even ironic.  This is
also the list where we are concerned with educating the entire public and
making museums accessible to everyone and not just able-bodied English
speaking, educated white males, right?

Deb Fuller

Staples &  Charles Ltd.
225 N Fairfax St.