From:
"Holland, Jane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 09:40:02 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

I provide an advisory service to a number of community museums, most
running on modest budgets with modest staff augmented by volunteers.
One constant request I receive is for information on packing and moving
whole collections, as museums move into new premises or undertake
capital upgrading to their permanent facilities.  To this end, I am
collecting a file of articles on the subject, and would appreciate any
references you could send me.  So far, I have the following articles:

Geyer, G.H.  "Moving Imagery:  Collections Management during a Museum
Move"  from Registrars on Record (AAM, 1988)

Thorp, V. and C. Wilson.  "Moving the Collections at the Royal British
Columbia Museum" from Preventive Conservation:  Practice, Theory &
Research  (IIC, 1994)

Kruckeberg, V. "Moving Museum Collections:  How to Avoid Some of Those
Maalox Moments"  from Textile Conservation Newsletter (Fall, 1993)

I also have found references to the following, although I haven't seen
the articles yet:

Morrow, M.  "Moving an Archives" from American Archivist (Summer, 1990)
Jessup, W.  "Packing without Crates"  from The Museologist (Winter,
83/84)

As you can see, I am looking specifically for articles dealing with the
practical planning and organization of moves, collections management
issues, policy and procedures, handling, low cost packing and
transportation materials and methods, and selecting or retrofitting
temporary storage areas.  I am not looking for information on
construction of crates or transport of exhibits.  Anecdotal information
is also welcome, as long as you write it to me in a letter with
permission to distribute it or make reference to it when consulting with
museums.

Thank you for your assistance,

Jane Holland,  Conservation Adviser,
Ministry of Citizenship, Culture and Recreation,
77, Bloor Street West,
2nd Floor,
Toronto, Ontario.
M7A 2R9.