From:
"Luis R. Cancel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 06:13:21 -0500
Legacy / Legado Exhibition Opened May 11
Continues until October 6, 1996

Luis R. Cancel
Guest Curator

The Old State House
800 Main Street
Hartford, CT
Tel: 860-522-6766

Web site: http://www.esperanto.com/Legacy/

It is my pleasure to inform all readers of the bit.listserv.museum-l
newsgroup of an exhibition of contemporary Latina/o art. On the
bicentennial of the Old State House, I have organized an exhibition that
explores the contemporary relevance of this landmark. As I watched the
careful restoration of this building over the past 2 years, and learned
about the historic events that took place there, I realized the edifice is
a national heirloom. It is an architectural treasure that helps present
day visitors to identify with historic figures who walked those halls,
making palpable the revolutionary principles promoted by the Fundamental
Orders (1639) which were adopted on the site - "government must rest on
the consent of the governed."

The theme of the exhibition, legacy, emerged after reflecting on the
diverse influences that formed my values as an Hispanic adult.  Latinos,
like everyone else, have been shaped by the historical events that
preceded them, including some events that took place in the Old State
House. The cultural traditions of both the United States and
Spanish-speaking America have contributed to their formation and beliefs.
Family, both immediate and extended, have all provided emotional filters
through which one defines oneself and one's role in society. These are the
forces which shape us as human beings. Thus the organization of the
exhibition into four subsidiary themes: the legacy of History, Culture,
Family and Childhood. Each of the fifteen participating artists explore
these universal themes with work selected to resonate with the beautifully
restored period rooms.

The artists include:

Luis Cruz Azaceta (Cuba)      Jaime Davidovich (Argentina)
Juan Downey (Chile)           Antonio Frasconi (Argentina)
Luis Jimenez (Texas)          Carmen Lomas Garza (Texas)
Juan Maldonado (Puerto Rico)  Amalia Mesa-Bains (California)
Jose Morales (Puerto Rico)    Pepon Osorio (Puerto Rico)
Liliana Porter (Argentina)    Jorge Luis Rodriguez (Puerto Rico)
Juan Sanchez (Puerto Rico)    Paul Sierra (Cuba)
                   Carlos Zerpa (Venezuela)

After a four-year renovation that cost $12 million and coincides with its
200th anniversary, the Old State House has once again opened its doors to
all of the state's residents, while it recognizes Hispanic cultural
values.

You are all invited. Call the Old State House for further details on
weekly special events. Visiting Hours:
Monday to Friday  10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Saturday  10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Sunday  12:00 Noon - 3:00 PM (May & June Only)

--
Esperanto Internet Services, LLC
99 Madison Avenue