From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:46:59 -0500
It all depends... are you looking for one glue for all those materials?
Are you trying to glue fabric to paper, paper to wood, etc.? Does it need
to be reversable? What do you mean by archival--non-yellowing? Won't get
brittle and fade over time? Expected to last "forever"? Are these for
objects in a museum collection or personal materials?

There is no magic glue that will do all these things. For example,
sometimes wheat starch paste is an appropriate adhesive for paper,
sometimes one might opt for methyl cellulose. B72 in the right
concentration works as an adhesive. PVA adhesives can be appropriate for
other applications. Wood glues depend on applications...are you regluing
the strechers on an old chair (that you plan to sit in) or fixing a loose
piece of veneer for an exhibition? As for fabrics...I am not comfortable
glueing them at all...from a conservation perspective. I'd expect glues to
permanently penetrate fabrics and always leave residues--meaning they'd be
pretty darn hard to reverse with out leaving a trace.

So, I know this isn't what you had hoped to hear....if you have a specific
adhesive question you might contact a professional conservator. The
Conservation Referral Service of the American Institute for Conservation
is a good place to start.

http://aic.stanford.edu/

Diane Gutenkauf