From:
"Millward, Peter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 07:52:22 +1000
Reading Mary Burkes response reminded me of my visit to Jorvik [also as
part of a British Council trip] in 1996. As I recall thge lab and its
people were also models. The ride was well done and the shop very large
but for me the real learning took place round the corner at a very small
"museum" called The ARC, Archaeological Resource Centre. Set up inb an
old church this was entirely self-funding, with none of the hoopla of
Jorvik but very well done and lots of stuff to explore and research. I
recall a very good interactive involving a computer and a a collection
of objects [simulated dig finds]. The idea was to select one and enter
details about it onto a database. You could explore how other people had
described the object which caused a lot of discussions.

Peter Millward
Manager, Education & Visitor Services
Melbourne Museum
PO Box 666E,   Melbourne,   VIC  3000
ph 61 3 9651 8162      fax 61 3 9651 6378
mobile 61 418 326 667
email [log in to unmask]