From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:43:57 -0400
We are a small rural museum in the Appalachian mountains.  This is an
impoverished region, and even though we are also not well-heeled, our Board
agreed several years ago to take the economic realities into account in
establishing the policy I recommended.

During pregnancy, we charge medical visits to sick leave, and that has never
been a problem.)  Our maternity leave is for up to six months (we pay the
person one month's salary as a "bonus" in advance, at time of taking the
leave, and all leave balances can also be used). and also with guaranteed
return to the same job (and a raise if one was given out in the interim).
During unpaid maternity leave, we continue to pay all health/life insurance
premiums and vacation (not sick) leave continues to accrue.  The father gets
three paid days at time of childbirth, but .  In the three cases thus far,
since the policy was approved, the mother has twice come back two months
after birth. In the third case, she elected to resign and we continued her
insurance premiums for the six months.  We allow the presence of infants for
up to three hours only when absolutely necessary (until another arrangement
for a sitter can be made) and have no day-care space.

Julia Moore seems to have started a trend in Indianapolis :@)))

> So far I am  the only one who has given birth (twice) while employed here,
but we are
> awaiting 2 more babies and an imminent adoption within the next six
> months.

> Julia Moore
> Indianapolis Art Center

Ross Weeks Jr., Tazewell VA.