From:
stevensg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:05:40 -0400
I must say, your advice is just excellent!  You are a fine mentor to those
Museum education folks embarking on career journies.  I am one of them.  Thank
you.

Greg Stevens
MAT Candidate 2001
Museum Education Program
The George Washington University

>===== Original Message From Museum discussion list
>First off, congratulations and hugs to Adrienne.  I
>remember your struggles, and it's wonderful to
>celebrate your success!
>
>Some of you may wonder where my interviewing advice
>comes from.  Remember those classes I suggested to
>you?  I've taken them, and, in some facets, done
>repeats to make sure I was ready.  A year and a half
>ago, I left a job of 24 years.  While it's scary to
>make such changes, some of the things I did in advance
>(aggregating employment links, working on my education
>and leadership skills, and preparing for the
>interviewing game) helped me to alleviate some of my
>fears in this regard.
>
>When Adrienne says listen, that brings up a point from
>the classes I took.  When you are asked a question,
>don't just blurt out the answer.  Think about what you
>were asked, and, if you're not sure, rephrase the
>question and ask your interviewer for validation as to
>is that the question they actually want an answer to.
>

>Interviewing is usually not a timed test.  While all
>of you involved (you, the interviewer, the back-up
>person they probably brought along to validate the
>decision) want to get out of there as soon as
>possible, don't sell yourself short.
>
>This is YOUR moment to sell yourself.  Stop, think,
>and choose your answers carefully, but thoughtfully,
>without a hesistation that connotes you really don't
>know the answer.
>
>As with any other invitation to avail yourself of
>someone else's time, don't forget the all-important
>thank you note at the end.  It can be email, but snail
>mail often gives a better appearance.  You may wish to
>have it already written out except for the name(s),
>and drop it in a nearby mailbox as you are leaving the
>facility.
>
>I hope these pointers help.
>

>--- Adrienne Roberts <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> The museum/organisation
>> is not out to see you fail...they want you to
>> succeed obviously.
>> sometimes i've met people who see this as a battle!
>> try and enjoy it,
>> relax and most importantly, as already stated,
>> listen.  if you get
>> nervous, just remeber that you obviously had
>> something that got their eye
>> from your resume
>

>=====
>Indigo Nights

>Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
>http://auctions.yahoo.com/

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/
. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the
message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).