From:
Lynne Ranieri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:37:53 -0500
  A few years ago our museum was contacted by a woman who was researching
and writing about celluloid (the man who invented it lived in our town for a
while). I forwarded to her the question about disposing of it and here is
her reply:

Celluloid is a semi-synthetic plastic.   That means it has organic base
materials that are altered by chemical means.  Made from nitrated cellulose
/cotton treated with nitric acid / and camphor - the crystalline resin from
a type of tree - the material will decompose naturally over time.  To
dispose of celluloid that is in a stage of denigration there are a few
options.  It may be burned out of doors - as it does give off a toxic fume,
but that also burns off rapidly.  It can be buried in a land fill and will
eventually decompose completely and  yes you can throw it out with the
trash - it is no more dangerous than a bottle liquid bandage from the
pharmacy, or cutex nail polish - both also nitrocellulose based.  I think
the hazards involved with decomposing celluloid are more associated with
handling the stuff and then not thoroughly washing the hands as nitric acid
residue often leaches to the surface, appearing as tiny droplets.  It should
also be understood that pieces in any stage of degradation should be removed
from the collection - quarantined - because the breakdown of the material
causes a release of chemical gas that may effect the stability of other
cellulosic plastics in the collection.  For a complete overview of the care
and preservation of celluloid objects - see the section in my book -
Celluloid; a Collectors Resource and Value Guide / K.Lauer & Julie Robinson.

Lynne