From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:39:39 +1200
Mary, Sibylle and others who have replied to our correspondent's inquiry,

Thankyou for doing so and I have conveyed your information to Todd for his
follow-up.  Not being a student of the Utrecht School I found the
information of particular interest.

Thankyou all
Roger

Read Global Museum - 75 countries, FREE online subscription, the very latest
in International News,
Views, Vacancies,Virtual Mall, Travel Service and more!
http://www.globalmuseum.org
___

----- Original Response Messages -----

<It's Gerrit van Honthorst.  Try looking on ArtNet artist search for dealers
or in the summer Art in
America special issue which lists dealers and their specialties.>

<If you were looking for prints of Gerrit Honthurst I think I have to
disappoint you. We only hold reproductions of the paintings you mentioned in
your e-mail dated 7.9.2000.  If you are interested in photos of the
paintings, please let me know. [log in to unmask]  Have you
already contacted the Prints & Drawing Department of the British Museum?

Utrecht school

Principally a group of three Dutch painters--Dirck van Baburen (c.
1590-1624), Gerrit van Honthorst (1590-1656), and Hendrik Terbrugghen
(1588-1629)--who went to Rome and fell fully under the pervasive influence
of Caravaggio's art before returning to Utrecht. Although none of them ever
actually met Caravaggio (d. 1610), each had access to his paintings, knew
his former patrons, and was influenced by the work of his follower
Bartholomeo Manfredi (1580-1620/21), especially his half-length figural
groups, which were boldly derived from Caravaggio and occasionally passed
off as the deceased master's works.

Back in the Netherlands the "Caravaggisti" were eager to demonstrate what
they had learned. Their subjects are frequently religious ones, but brothel
scenes and pictures in sets, such as five works devoted to the senses, were
popular with them also. The numerous candles, lanterns, and other sources of
artificial
light are characteristic and further underscore the indebtedness to
Caravaggio.

Although Honthorst enjoyed the widest reputation at the time, painting at
both the Dutch and English courts, Terbrugghen is generally regarded as the
most talented and versatile of the group.>