From:
Laura Bajuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 01:55:49 EST
Hello - I'm a board member of a small history museum in its 50th year -
without a collections policy. [Let alone financial, etc.]

I've looked at my Museum Studies materials, but they are way beyond this
group. Do you have a policy you'd be willing to share?

We need a policy that will function well with one part-time [1 day a week]
curator/registrar who has been in place for over 20 years.

Things need to change, and I have a few supporters if I act quickly and get a
reasonable policy in place that will suit the curator.

Currently, we could be robbed blind - or find that we're fronting an antique
dealing business - or worse. There is no distinction between historic objects
and items donated to sell to benefit the museum in its regular garage sales.
The newly formed collections committee found three original, signed Dorothea
Lange photos ca. 1920 lying in a metal - thank the gods - drawer... but nary a
sheet of acid-free tissue in sight, let alone real conservation materials.
Only been sitting there for 13 years...

Fun, fun, fun. I won't say more, because it will just turn your museum-
professional hair as grey as mine is getting... thank goodness for Clairol.

Those interested in how we dealt with an employee tossing off the entire board
and replacing them with hand-picked shills should drop me a line... The best
thing is, I think I might just finish my thesis after all - much more
interesting story than curating a women's history exhibit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. LB