From:
Nesdon Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 13:29:05 -0700
As mentioned, Drafting Tape (such as 3M #230) has a very
easy release adhesive, that will not damage even very fragile surfaces. Most
tapes can be custom slit by suppliers in any specified width. Because of the
low adhesion, I usually get this in 4 inch (100mm) rolls, but you can even
use 1inch wide tape to build up a large patch. The number and size of the
patches will determine the load that can be supported.

Use large squares of this tape on the wall and in corresponding locations
the back of the object
to be mounted, and then use vinyl foam double faced tape intended for
permanent installation (3M #4408 1/8inch) to join the two drafting tape
covered
surfaces. Depending on the surface texture, thinner tapes (#4432 1/32inch,
or #4416 1/16inch) may be used. The foam allows the adhesive to conform to
the surface, thereby increasing greatly the amount of adhesive in contact
with the substrate, and therefore the strength of the bond. 3M's Greek
Distributor seems to be:

3M Hellas Limited
Kifissias 20
GR 151 25 Maroussi
P.O. Box 50464
GR 141 10 Heraklion, Athens, Greece
Telephone: 301-68-42902
Fax: 301-68-43281

In dressing motion picture locations, we frequently need to attach large
framed paintings to the walls of expensive homes. I have used this technique
many times for rented frames weighing as much as 20 lbs. We are able to
remove the paintings and then the drafting tape from the wall and the backs
of the frames with no damage. I am not sure what the longevity of this
process is, but judging by the other replies, I suspect the drafting tape
will hold indefinitely.

Nesdon