From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:11:53 -0600
Hi Roy,

As Roy knows (I think?), I am 'the' web person at Joslyn Art
Museum, receiving technical assistance from the I.T.
Department.

While severely stretched to breaking point, Joslyn must --
due to the mission of the Museum and the web site -- use the
web site for educational purposes.  (Our web site was formed
in large part in 1994/5, to serve as an educational tool,
with money from a grant.)

The original web site had several "teacher packets," useful
for enhancing art (history), language arts, and social
studies curricula.  When the web site was redesigned in 1999
(I think), the teacher packets were removed until such time
as they could be reformatted into the new design.  Finally,
with my:

* arrival at Joslyn over two years ago;
* boss asking me to take over the development of the web
site a year ago; and,
* having taught myself FrontPage and basic HTML over the
past six months . . .

Joslyn Art Museum has begun posting reformatted "educator
resource packets" on-line!  YIPPEE!

They may be found at:
http://www.joslyn.org/teach/curriculum.htm.  Four are
currently on-line:

1. Greek Pottery: Visual Records of an Ancient Society
2. Making Art Last: The Care & Conservation of Museum
Collections
3. The Maximilian-Bodmer Expedition, 1832-1834
4. Searching for Ancient Egypt: Art, Architecture, and
Artifacts from the University of Pennsylvania

More will be added (I expect) over the next year, including:

A. "Rules & Rebels" (19th Century French art, from the
French Academy through the Impressionists)
B. "Visualizing Time: Art and Cultural Change" (incorporates
themes from the Social Studies Frameworks and Standards)
C. "Show me a Story" (explores various types of storytelling
in art and literature: myth and legend, portraits/biography,
adventure, belief, adventure, documentation, fantasy, and
others)
D. "Picturing Nebraska" (images of Nebraska that represent
various locales, developments, and time periods of
Nebraska's history)
E. "Art of the 20th Century: the First 50 Years"
(Historic/cultural and artistic developments in the first
half of the 20th Century, from the realism of Frederic
Remington through the Ashcan artists, Pop Art, and
Non-objective Abstraction)

[Note: While these educator resource packets are available
for local teachers to borrow, teachers in different cities,
states or countries are welcome to use them, provided that
images and information are used appropriately and proper
credit is given to Joslyn Art Museum and/or the
person(s)/museum(s) who/that retain copyright the
artwork/artifacts.]

If you have questions or comments -- or find errors of any
kind <grin> -- please contact me!  ;-)

Thank you, sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)       www.joslyn.org