From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:53:55 EDT
Try your local and your state arts council -- they usually regrant NEA
monies.   But these are matching grants, so you will have to secure some
private funding -- e.g., sponsorship of a rich person, an outright donation
to partially support the cost.   You can also generate some revenue via
ticket sales, but not enough to entirely fund the concert and its promotion.
Local radio stations and newspapers or locally-owned department stores may
help fund these performances if they get a big credit (e.g., a banner at the
concert and a banner in the advertising recognizing the sponsor).  See if
your town's Convention and Visitor's Bureau or Chamber of Commerce will be a
partner and help support this activity.

If you want inexpensive but quality music programs, try graduate students and
faculty from your local college, or the high school band director.    Band
directors themselves (without the bands) are usually accomplished musicians
who are happy to play in the museum for a reasonable cost.

In the past, I've linked these musical performances to the themes of our
current exhibits in a history museum.  At our fundraising luncheon, we had a
program about the Georgia Governors, with music performed from each
administration.  It was a fun program combining music and history.

Hope this helps.

pamela sezgin