From:
Sara Phalen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 11:02:28 -0700
Jennifer,

As the only part-time staff member at a small museum, I have been struggling
with this problem and we are only open 1-2 times a week, depending on the
season.  We too have an aging docent group. During the school year this is a big
concern and we are looking to get college students in intern roles for course
credit as many of them need internships and we cannot afford to pay them
anything.  During the summer months we have had success recruiting local
teachers who have actually been more than happy to volunteer once a month.  The
former director was a school teacher so that helped us with identifying teachers
who might be willing, but it might not hurt to send out some requests for help
to local teachers.  Teachers that I do classroom visits to are also more than
happy that we provide this programming free of charge to them and if they can't
volunteer as a docent usually have a suggestion for someone who might.  Since I
am also only part-time, I don't have a lot of time to work on getting docents,
let alone scheduling and training them so having the teachers help recruit is a
big help!

Sara Phalen
Director/Curator
Warrenville Historical Museum & Art Gallery