From:
"M. A. Blair" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:01:19 -0500
When I worked in a manuscripts library, we photocopied pages of scrapbooks onto
acid-free paper. This is fairly easy to do with a little care in handling the book. The
original scrapbooks were wrapped in bond paper and tied with linen tape (like a
Christmas present), and stored separately. The idea was to encourage researchers
to use the copies to prevent further deterioration of the scrapbooks, though the
scrapbooks were still available for view by request.

Be sure to use archival boxes when storing paper. Regular cardboard is acidic will
both disintegrate and ruin the paper within it. Sheets of acid-free paper can be
placed between scrapbook pages to prevent the newsprint from yellowing the
adjacent pages. This is especially important if your scrapbooks contain material
other than newspaper clippings, like photos and regular copy paper. The acidity of
newsprint will not only cause it to crumble; acidic paper weakens whatever it is
touching.

I am in a society which has minutes dating back over two hundred years, and these
pages have undergone more extensive conservation. I'm not sure of the process, but
the pages are prepared such that frequent handling does not harm them as much
(the pages look like they’ve been bonded to a protective sleeve of some type). Much
of our collection is available on microfilm, but due to funds that project hasn't been
completed.