From:
"Hank T. Foreman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:36:02 -0500
Hi All,

We have an alumnus who is donating a painting by Cherokee artist Elizabeth
Hart (Hoggan).   In 1972, Hart exhibited in the Dept of Interior...the
works were accurate representationsrt- of Native American leaders and
received much attention.  Later, due to the attention and educational
nature of the works, they were exhibited at the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
This exhibit conicided with what is often called the "Great Raid of 1972"
in which members of the American Indian Movement stormed and occupied the
bureau in memory of the massacre at Wounded Knee. The works were
confiscated by the occupying movement and have not been recovered.

In 1975, Hart began painting her series Great Women in America...over 80
portraits, including many historically overlooked women...particulary
African American women.  The painting we are receiving is one from this
series.  It is a portrait of Eleanor Roosevelt and measures 63" x 74.5".

If anyone has any information on similar works please contact me at
[log in to unmask]               Thanks for your time and consideration
in this matter.

Hank T. Foreman, Acting Director
Catherine J. Smith Gallery
Box 32057