From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:31:31 -0600
Susan,

There are several versions of digital video cameras for just a few hundred
that can record and be downloaded/played directly into a computer for
archiving on cd or whatever. All you need is a multimedia capable computer,
the camera, and the software to make the transition. You should not need
the massively complex software, unless you are going to modify the original
recording. It would save as a certain type of video file, such as mpeg,
wav, avi, or others. Then you just burn it onto a cd. The cameras may
already come with the basic software you need.

Tell the people at Best Buy,  Circuit City, etc what you want to do, and
they will give you the commercial options. If you have the computer
already, you should be able to set yourself up for $4-600, at a low-frills
level.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Susan English
             <s.english@JOLIET
             MUSEUM.ORG>                                                To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Audio Visual equipment.

             02/12/2004 01:17
             PM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Our museum is embarking on a project to preserve the stories of our local
residents.  Although we are calling it the Oral History project, we are
looking for easy to use equipment which we can document the interview both
orally and visually.  We are a medium sized institution so cost is a
concern, but also we do not want to produce the interviews on obsolete
techniology.  Any suggestions from more technology savvy colleagues would
be appreciated.

Susan English
Executive Director
Joliet Area Historical Museum