From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:15:30 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your free webzine and museum compendium read
weekly by 6,000+ readers in more than 107 countries .
***   Best Museum Professionals Site, Museums & the Web 2004   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org and click on the NEWS button) in this
week's edition include:

**  Archaeologists strike gold as Afghan treasure emerges from hiding place
Now, what is known as the Bactrian gold - 20,600 pieces of gold jewellery,
funeral ornaments and personal belongings from 2000-year-old burial mounds -
has emerged from hiding intact, a shimmering example of the heights scaled
by ancient Afghan culture

**  Strange Site of the Week: The Candy Wrapper Museum
"As frightening as it may seem, I've actually eaten most of the candy in my
collection, and yet I'm not (yet) overweight"

**  Summer Activities Start with a Bang!
One of this country's oldest military traditions will launch the summer
season of activities at the Stewart Museum, the Fort, Ile Sainte-Hélène

**  Champions a costly, ambitious plunge
Museums everywhere survive only on subsidies of some sort, and many would
not be up for the massive overheads facing "Champions"

**  Museum Looks to Cover Up Words
The markers have become a modern embarrassment in this museum village that
for centuries has been consumed with preserving history

**  Ancient villages unearthed in Utah
Rancher Waldo Wilcox kept most outsiders off his land and his secret under
wraps: a string of ancient Indian settlements so remarkably well-preserved
that arrowheads and beads are still out in the open

Planning on Travelling? Business or Pleasure?
* GLOBAL MUSEUM TRAVEL - For Business and Pleasure - the  leading provider
of online museum travel, established in 1998.
40,000 in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Discounts up to 65% off. Rooms for
sold-out dates. Group Reservations.
CLICK HERE      http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/trav204/index.htm
Airfares, Car Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and
Cruises!  Provider is a member of I.A.T.A.

**  A flowering of art in Madrid
The city plans eventually to turn part of the car-clogged thoroughfare that
joins the three museums into a pedestrian mall, or "art walk," inspired by
Museum Island in Berlin & the Mall in DC.

**  Korn singer sued over crime museum
Arthur Rosenblatt, a collector of criminal artefacts, sued Davis, a former
mortuary science student, and his associates, for about $US4 million in a
12-count lawsuit

**  Woodstock Relics Honoured In Museum
The multi-patched jeans are being displayed at the New York State Museum
among dozens of evocative artefacts from the 1969 concert: ticket stubs, a
leather head band, programs, a New York Daily News headlined "TRAFFIC
UPTIGHT AT HIPPIEFEST" and a conga drum

**  Flood fears at Museum
Underground tours at the National Coal Mining Museum have been suspended
until further notice because of the threat of flooding

**  Hunt seeks unique Arctic sealife
Russian cooperation is seen as central to the project's success:
institutions involved include the Russian Academy of Sciences and Moscow
State University's zoological museum

**  Britain's Web presence to be saved
The Library says it will be checking blogs, museum Web pages, e-theses, &
Web-based literary and creative projects by British subjects

**  Lights go on at new waterfront museum
The museum will tell the story of Wales's industrial and maritime heritage
and particularly the big part Wales played in the industrial revolution

Jamaica for the Jaded!
The Runaway Bay Heart Hotel, Nestled Amongst The Lush Hills Of Candill Hall,
Rests On Its Own Plateau Of Ten Acres.  Uniquely Designed To Provide A
Breathtaking Panoramic View Of The Bay.
http://travel.ian.com/index.jsp?pageName=hotInfo&cid=1527&showInfo=true&fromIndex=true&currencyCode=USD&hotelID=217221

**  Hermitage curator claims concert may have damaged paintings
In a bad-tempered stand-off between high and low culture, the museum's head
claims that a recent concert by the former Beatle in a square adjacent to
the museum was dangerously loud and that the resulting vibrations have
already caused damage to the world-famous Hermitage

**  Researchers dissect Mona Lisa's smile
The enigmatic smile of the Mona Lisa lies in a quirk of our brain which
interprets "visual noise," the equivalent of the white flecks called snow
which occur on a badly-tuned TV set, a pair of scientists say

**  Perot-backed museum gives up planes after investigation
Museum officials didn't know about the federal regulations when they bought
the planes, said an attorney for the Alliance museum

**  Greece's main antiquities museum reopens after Olympic restoration
Thousands of the precious pieces, from statues to Mycenaean gold vessels,
will be on display providing a visual timeline of Greek antiquity

**  I refuse to let some beached whale ruin our family outing
The view is spectacular, and just because a rude old whale decided to die
next to it doesn't make it any less so

**  Museum returns preserved Maori heads
Three 19th-century Maori heads that were hidden away in a Glasgow museum for
more than 50 years will be returned to their native New Zealand

**  This Week's feature Site: Te Papa's new Web Site
Take a look at this classy, bilingual site from the Museum of New Zealand -
with a nice welcome and FLASH movies.

**  This Week's GLOBAL MUSEUM CAPTION CONTEST

**  The fifth annual Northeast Historic Film Summer Symposium, taking place
in Bucksport, Maine

**  The Pacific Northwest Preservation Management Institute

**  Don't Sweat the Big Stuff: Training for the Rigging & Moving of Fine
Arts and Artefacts

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting their RESUMES,
FORUM, Cheap and reliable world TRAVEL, Museum Accredited Courses, Products
& Services, Classical Music store, and a Jazz Emporium.
http://www.globalmuseum.org    First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!

What our readers say:

**  Thanks for all the good work!  I read the Global News section each week,
and have my museum studies students do so as well
Web feedback survey

**  Thank you for this service. What did we do before this? I recommend this
site to students as part of their internship training with us
Web feedback survey  USA

**  I love global museum and appreciate the service.  It keeps me, a curator
in a small local museum, in touch with the international museum world
Web feedback survey   Australia