From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 2003 07:52:55 -0700
Is it just me or does the population of Museum-L seem rather touchy as of late?
While the recent war is bound to flare tempers, there have been complaints from
posting too many job listings from USAJobs or other online sources to flogging
the person who posted a list of reenactor and living historian terms that he
thought "we should be familiar with" but not necessarily use.

Yes, I think "cloth jew" is offensive but fortunately, I've never heard anyone
in the reenactment community use it. We generally refer to those types of
sutlers as just bad sutlers or "sutlers who sell crap".

I would again hope that the educated people on this list would be more
enlightened than to attack someone who uses that term (or someone who
innocently posts a list containing that term). Instead, I would hope that our
gentle readers on this list and elsewhere would channel the spirit of Miss
Manners and politely correct the offending user and explain why you think that
term should not be used.

As an aside note, how many of you use the term "gyp" as in "I got gypped!!"
Comes from the derogatory term for the Romany peoples of Europe - "gypsies".

So gentle museum professionals, please take a deep breath, think happy thoughts
and relax before you post. We are here to share information and educate.
Indignation for the sake of indignation rarely does any good.

Calmly,

Deb Fuller