From:
Scott Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:41:38 -0400
Kate,

I second the suggestions already made, especially the advice to try to
make the tour as sensory intense as you can: touch, hear, see, do are the
watch words here.
But, I would also add that you should absolutely not assume anything about
the group. They will likely have aides or assistants with them. Talk to
them beforehand. They will give your staff a much better idea of each
individual's strengths and limitations so you will know what to expect and
how to approach their individual needs and wants.
Just remember: during the tour make sure you talk to and with the group
itself, although the assistants may ask you questions in order to better
help their companions understand what they're experiencing, and they may
give you feedback from their companions in case you aren't sure about
their reactions.

I once had an issue come up with a special needs group a long time ago in
a living history career far, far away. My education staff was
uncomfortable working with this group. They didn't want to take them in
certain buildings and show them certain activities because they were too
focused on the group's DISabilities and not their ABILITIES. My advice was
(and is)simple:
They know what they can and can't do. You don't.
Let them guide you. Get to know them.
And above all -have fun! It's contagious.

Cheers!

Scott Peters

--
732-492-9216

Jersely Speaking,  Minister of trivia, errata and miscellany --
 Founding Trustee, The Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County
 "The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are adventitious
 things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are frequently the
baubles of imbecility, or the sparkling decorations of meretricious
pageantry" William Griffith, 1803