From:
Andrew Renaut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:26:32 +1000
Hi, contrary to someone from a certain consultancy in Canada, India ain't
nothing like the 'Bloody Cross'. I'll try to straighten him out with a copy
of Nino Culotta's 'The're are Weird Mob'.....

Seriously though for those of you interested, the film is about women's
divorce / remarriage. It is quite a common occurrence in the district around
Shivpuri. The King of the district was a little like "Yule Brenner" in Roger
and Hamesteins 'The King and I'. Very modern and forward thinking for early
in the 20th Century.  There were many progressive laws, and while the
creation of the new States dissolved most of the laws, the practice still
occurs in both a legal  and traditional sense. A woman seeks advice (in
secret) from the women Brahmen, if they approve the woman makes a statement
to a Notary Public, usually a lawyer. This is then a legally binding
document. However, (and here's the catch) the new husband must make a
compensation payment to the old. Grounds for divorce are often drunkenness
of the husband, his infertility, or his inability to "keep her financially"
(in one case we interviewed the husband gambled heavily.) If the dispute
cannot be resolved in this way the case can still go to court. This is a
(fast) declining practice though, as people are rapidly becoming better
educated and there are far fewer child marriages. The film takes a very
legal/anthropological tact, thus, so far we have only sold it to University
Anthropology departments!!! But then the producer is doing her Phd in Indian
Law so that was not surprising.
Further details on request! (My noddles are burning)

Andrew Renaut MA