From:
Gordon McKenna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:46:42 -0000
Apologies for Crosspostings

15 December - MDA has announced the launch of a new online service
for terminology. Created in response to the sector-wide requirement
for greater availability and co-ordination of standard terminologies,
SPECTRUM Terminology is now available free on the MDA website at:

http://www.mda.org.uk/spectrum-terminology/

Acting as a single point of access for information relating to
terminology, SPECTRUM Terminology comprises the following sections:

* Terminology Essentials - General information about terminology for
museums.

* Terminology Workshop - Guidance on creating thesauri.

* Terminology Bank - A set of existing standard terminologies,
including a facility to submit reviews.

Gordon McKenna, MDA Standards and Systems Manager, commented,

"Enquirers to MDA's AdvicePoint service often ask us: 'Where can I
find a terminology on ...?' With this in mind we are launching this
new section of our popular website. It is an important development in
our mission to be the UK's lead organisation on documentation and
information management for museums."

SPECTRUM Terminology supports the requirement of many SPECTRUM 'Units
of Information' to "maintain a list of standard terms", replacing and
enhancing the wordHOARD section of the MDA website.

SPECTRUM Terminology will develop over time, with a call due be
issued shortly to the museum sector inviting them to submit existing
terminologies for possible inclusion on the website.

In addition, the MDA Forum will act as a point of discussion on
terminology issues. For further information, see
www.mda.org.uk/forum.htm

Gordon McKenna.

 Gordon McKenna  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
 MDA
 The Spectrum Building,
 The Michael Young Centre,
 Purbeck Road
 Cambridge CB2 2PD, UK

 Tel:    +44 1223 415760
 Fax:    +44 1223 415960

Setting the standard for managing collections information