From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:30:52 -0400
Let's say you are working on a project for the client at your office and
someone visits your office and slips on one of the documents for that
client, suffers a debilitating back injury, and decides to sue both you
and your client.  Your agreement with the client will also have some
kind of an indemnification clause wherein you indemnify your client
against third-party causes of action.  If your client is a named insured
on your liability policy, then your insurance is responsible for paying.

But general commercial liability is something more than personal injury,
it includes operations, advertising, completed products, and a lot of
other things.  Let's say that you produced a study or some research for
your client (a completed product) and your client used it as background
for some action or project, and let's say something in that study was
vastly incorrect.  Let's say your client suffered quantifiable $ damages
because they relied on the incorrect information--maybe it will cost
them money to remake something, or they had to hire someone else to redo
the study or research.  Your insurance would possibly (depending on the
policy) cover those damages.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN