From:
"Wilson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:32:01 -0600
".  your last comment - small = under 50 staff - blew me away !  it's nice
to know that so many museums will be join me being included in your
definition."
Let's see... a small city would be 100,000, a small country might have a
million people in it, a small college might have 2,000 students in it.
What WOULD be a small, medium or large museum
... in staff?
... in budget?
... in visitorship?
... in size of collection?

And, perhaps even more interestingly, are there some kinds of institutions
that MUST be large, or MUST be small?  Shedd is large, (staff of 275, budget
of $23 million, visitorship of 2 million), but almost all aquariums are
large.  They have to be to support the large infrastructure requirements of
tanks, filtration and the people to maintain the systems and the animals.
You can tell it's just before a holiday and my mind is wandering to
questions like these rather than the usual stuff!
Linda Wilson
Visitor Studies and Evaluation
Shedd Aquarium, Chicago, IL  60605
"Once we know what was observed, we can make our own judgements"  Paul Stern