From:
Aaron Marcavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 09:18:22 -0700
Jodi,

Certainly if you are looking into museum work, a certificate in Historic Preservation wont do it
for you.  However, if you are looking for other career paths in History, then I would consider it.
 I know the people who run the program and I have only heard good things about it.  Obviously it
is hard to find this stuff in Central PA.  (I am from Southwestern PA and worked for the Bureau
for HP for the state.)  I would suggest that if Historic Preservation is the way you want to go,
then Philadelphia might be a choice.  I like the suggestion of a distance learning program.
Goucher has a program in HP by distance learning.  Leicester has a distance learning for Museums.
There are others out there.

I dont think there is anything wrong with a certificate.  If anything it will increase your
technical skills.  Thats what I like about certificate programs. (I tend to be a very skills
oriented person.)

Let me know if you want more info on HP.

Aaron
--- Jodi Wendl <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm a 28 year old professional who holds a BA in History from a 4 year
> college. I have been on the look out for fulltime museum employment for
> about 5 years and have seen how hard to come by it is.
>
> My question is: I have found an interesting program at Bucks County
> Community College (PA) that awards a certificate of Historic Preservation
> in a 2 year program.  It is one of the only ones in the area and I'm hoping
> not to relocate. WILL A CERTIFICATE FROM A COMMUNITY COLLEGE BE ACCEPTED AS
> LEGITIMATE OR JUST POSSIBLY DEVALUE MY UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE? (i.e. - "why
> did she go to a community college AFTER a 4 year program?")
>
> Any input/impressions from other professionals would be VERY appreciated!
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Jodi Wendl

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain
> detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to
> [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without
> the quotes).

=====
www.aaronmarcavitch.com
Webmaster, VAF (www.vernaculararchitecture.org)
Webmaster, ADM (www.americandinermuseum.org)
Webmaster, Boston Harborfest (www.bostonharborfest.com)
Grad. Student Caucus Chair, Am. Assoc of History & Computing

M.A. (Public) History, Middle TN St. Univ (2002)