From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:58:11 -0800
Ok, ladies and gentlemen, let's all be honest.

1.  It is NOT hard to register for a site.  Were that
so, there wouldn't be so many actively involved on
MuseJobs or the other Yahoogroups for three years.
Since Roger was an original member, signing up just
can't be that difficult.

2.  Global Museum doesn't compel it's users to pay.
However, here is the exact text from the web site:

"Global Museum will post position vacancies on this
site at no charge, but a donation is actively
encouraged, to help support this site, which is now a
near fulltime occupation! Over 5,000 jobs have been
posted here in the past year - a regularly updated
compendium of museum, art gallery & nonprofit
vacancies. Global Museum accepts no responsibility for
the validity and accuracy of this information. Read
this disclaimer"

"Posted a Job? Found Employment? Appreciated the
service?  You might like to send us a small donation.
We’ve made it easier for you to do so by using the
secure system PAYPAL. Simply click the button below to
donate a modest $US6.50 Your support for our efforts
would be much appreciated"

3.  Dr. Muller-Straten seems to be a little more
forthright in this regard.

4.  The University of Leicester also operates a jobs
board at no fee to the viewer.
http://www.le.ac.uk/ms/jobs/job_titles_jobid.htm  This
site is offered weekly by the venerable Jim Roberts to
the MuseJobs folks.

5.  Offering jobs to those in need is provided as a
total pro bono to the members of the MuseJobs list.  I
can only assume that there is a good intention behind
the other two offerings.

7.  Offering such information on this list should not
turn into a pissing contest everytime one person's
information poses a potential challenge to another
person's turf.  There are far too many,
undercompensated, out of work, looking for a job,
about to graduate, huge college debt museum
professionals that need the information, and like just
about everything else, one size doesn't fit all.

Dr. Muller-Straten's listings, I'm confident, have a
sound audience.  Roger has been sending Global Museum
to this list for years, and it has its own audience.
I created MuseJobs on January 29, 2002, when concern
was expressed here about all the Hire-Me posts.  Since
that time, there has appeared to be a challenge at
every opportunity when the info has been posted, and
that's silly.  Now Dr. Muller-Straten is getting the
same challenge.

The list is a little more mature than that.  Let's try
to hold ourselves above the fray.  If you squelch the
offerings of one or more lists, you may be precluding
others from getting their livelihood (a la a museum
job of quality).

Silly stuff going on.

--- "Dr. Christian Müller-Straten"

Indigo Nights