From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:00:11 +0000
Amalyah:

This is a direct parallel to the very long-standing limited copyright
for 25 years in e.g. the actual typesetting of a non-copyright work.  For
example, though Shakespeare is out of copyright and in principle anyone
can produce a new edition of his works you may not photo-typeset your new
edition from another publisher's recent (less than 25 years) typesetting.
You have to either re-do the typesetting or reproduce the work from some
older edition.  That's why some recently published music scores of e.g.
19th century operas etc.issued in competition with the current "standard"
editions by the main music publishers look "antique" and have weird
translations of their libretto!

The quote you give from Flint seems to summarise the position very well: I
presume that this provision will be common to all 15 European Union
countries at the very least, as the recent UK changes (including the
important provision to extend normal copyrights from the previous 50 years
from death to 70 years from death) were EU-wide changes, but you would
need to check on this.

Also, some other countries may not recognise all of the recent changes
within their own territories (?the USA perhaps - with its much wider
interpretation of "fair dealing" - where this began).

Patrick Boylan