From:
Greg Koos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 10:58:59 -0800
Margaret,
A few years ago we cleaned a set of pharmacy paers which came from an
attic  and were covered with a variety of filth. You first consideration
is not to loose the order of filing inherent in the bundling.  If you do
not have an archivist on staff ask for help on their eventual
cataloging.
To clean try two methods. 1)while the papers are still bundled place
them on a nylon screen which has been streched over a cardboard box.
Attach a vacuum cleaner to the bottom of the box.  Use a brush to clean
the papers (still bundled)while the vacuum cleaner is turned on.  This
will remove most of the loose filth on the outside of the papers 2)
Remove the ties and unfold the papers - if they are as moist as you
indicated they shuld unfold easily.  Clean the sheets with a
"dry-cleaning pad".  Such pads are found at architects supply houses.
Such cleaning invloves lightly brushing the pad on the papers.  These
tasks should not be done in an area where you are storing collections.
For mildewed areaes - set the paere in sunlight,  This will kill much of
the mildew.  Badly damaged papers can be xeroxed. Destroy any papers
where the mildew seems to be deeply rooted.

Greg Koos
McLean County Historical Society