From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:36:55 -0600
Carol et al.:

        If they want to design a "generalized, symbolic, abstracted
version," they wouldn't be basing it on a verifiable
photograph of three specific men . . . would they?  Simply
put, they ought to find some other source -- or, even
better, they ought to be creative and design something
original!  Being derivative leaves the designers open to
criticism (and resentment?) from those who know the
photograph is what it is -- and know what the photograph IS
NOT!
        Should we have all journalists and historians edit the
truth of the specific act captured in the photograph to
satisfy some sick urge to represent Americans as racially
varied?  Hopefully, the African-American and Hispanic
communities can see themselves as American, as included in
the 'spirit' of the monument, without having to change
Caucasian into African-American or Hispanic.
        This strikes me as utterly offensive . . . as would be a
revival of "black-face" performances.  How about we try to
represent people as they are and not as we think they are?
        There can be no wrong with being honest, that those men are
Caucasian.  They are multiple ethical problems introduced by
this form of "political correctness of incorrectness."

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)     www.joslyn.org

Copyright retained.  My opinions - no one else's.  If you
have a problem with what I wrote, take it up with me
personally.  If this is illegal where you are, do not read
it!