From:
Dave Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 1994 21:49:14 -0700
I would like to add my comments to this particular agrument and to the
orginal enquiry:  First the latter:  it seems that we are dealing with
what is "ideal" and what we can do with our budget and other
constraints.  These are valid aspects to that original enquiry that do
deserve attention, even if the end result is a low-tech solution.

On the former:  Too often the PC (Political Correct) claptrap emerges
like a pimple on the face of a self-conscious adolescent.  In many ways
the self-consciousness agruments are asking a why question to a statement
of validity.  That why question is not the statement of validity and is a
separate entity.

The actions of archaeologists are the same as any other thief BUT with
the patina of "scientific" as a justification.  The removal of ANY grave
goods or bodies is theft and desecration.  There is no moral
justification for that act.  Still be are able to use our best 20/20
hindsight to see the shame of what others have done, and yet we cannot
see what we do now or what we will do in the sacred name of science.

Science is a belief system with a particular world view (or explanation
of the comos).

The point here is not to confuse the ethnocultural preservation of that
with which we have been charged to care, but to look at how we can best
fulfill that responsibility.