From:
Robbin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 15:45:31 -0500
There is an extremely interesting speech posted on the Hott-List
that Robert Kavner, Executive VP and CEO for Multimedia for AT&T
gave at the Winter Consumer Electronics Show. In it he describes
the philosophical difference between "Open Access" and
"Gatekeeping" on the information superhighway (trademark pending).

I thought this apropos to this list as we try to define what the
role of the museum should be in the future: open access or
gatekeeper to knowledge and cultural heritage? If you want to know
the difference simply compare what you read on this list with
one that is minitored, such as CAAH.

If you aren't subscribed to Hott-List or want to know more about
it the address is:
         [log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask])
         send the command: subscribe your full address hott-list
         for human contact the address is [log in to unmask]

If you want to read the speech but can't find it I'll keep
it in my files for a few days and forward it to you. It's long.

Robbin Murphy