From:
Peter REBERNIK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:12:50 +0200
Dear Mark Nielsen,
>Exhibit Designer/Preparator
>University of Michigan Museum of Art
>[log in to unmask]      313/647-2068

thanks for the comforting words. I am (actually not) surprised that the
infight with architects has left so many wounds in the museum community that
the response is so long, interesting and heavy.

But, I would like to get to other goals:

When the magnificent museums in Vienna were designed about a hundred years
from now, the architects invited dozens of "other" artists (sculpturers,
painters, makers of fountains, stairs, designers of doorways and plastic
ceilings) to complete the work of art.

Nowadays, it seems, that every architects wants to get the artistic credit
alone. Where are the renowned architects inviting other artists to join in
the effort to design, to create a museum? Is this vain effort the reason for
the problems of communication? Is the understanding of a modern artist to
serve the public? Or is the understanding to "confront", to "provoke" etc;
all activities which will never lead to "comfort" for future inhabitants of
the building. Therefore, I suggest that the architects should object against
the view of being a "simple" artist. They are servants to us all - to
present and future generations! Their aspirations should not be to provoke,
to confront, to disharmonize etc. but to leave a building - together with
other artists, the architects as the obidient and caring manager of the team
- which is functional, practical and enjoyable to the children of our
children.(This concerns only building, in which people work or live or enjoy
themselves; not for monuments, churches "La Sagrada Famila" in Barcelona or
Chinses walls).

Where are the architects which firstly leave the functional "trivia" to an
engineer before scratching mute paperfolds with "genius ideas" of design?

Greetings,

Peter, the Rebernik