From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:44:43 -0600
I'm almost afraid to put my two cents in, but has anyone thought that
perhaps the reason why a "stricter" dress code is being established (AKA
uniforms) is because the staff does not look professional.  Every
organization has a dress code, whether formally stated or not that the staff
follows.  For years we have had a relatively loose dress code that asked the
front staff to wear any of our museum shirts and slacks or new looking blue
jeans (nothing ripped or faded) or they could wear casual office attire.
Unfortunately, we still have staff coming in looking like they have falled
out of bed in their cloths, wearing old nasty jeans, and shirts with someone
else logo or inappropriate graphics.  We  have had to make the dress code
stricter simply because they do not follow the current loose one and without
a formal dress code we didn't have much to stand on to force them into
something appropriate.

By the way, we tried involving the front-end staff in the decision about
what they should wear, but we keep coming up to a road block.  They can't
seem to agree on color, style, price, etc and so the decision had to be made
elsewhere.  Staff cooperation and recommendations are great but they are
only recommendations.  Reality check, the board/director are running this
show and must make the final decisions sometimes partially based on
economics.  Ultimately, this is a business (non-profit or not) and how the
staff looks is a direct reflection on the organization.  In addition, if
your guests (customers) don't know who are the staff you are not doing them
any justice.  They don't care if  you are "more" knowledgeable then the rest
of the applicants but rather can they find you and ask you how to get to the
bathroom.  Uniforms whether name tags, shirts, or whatever else your museum
used allows for that and uniformity IS the key.  Individuality is the
public, not your staff.  The museum has an image to portray and uniforms can
help establish that image.

Sometimes you can't please everyone.
Let's try to make sure we are pleasing our visitors and not ourselves.
Tracie