From:
Richard Gerrard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:13:39 -0400
Hi Mary,

> How have others dealt with deaccessioning objects and/or library materials
> found in collections that don't have an accession number or a signed deed?
> Essentially, the museum can not prove legal title to the object, so how
> does one deaccession it?

With extreme caution and fully documeting each step and decision taken.

Ontario doesn't have abandoned objects/old loans legislation, our
solicitor gave us the above advice - based on the concept that our title
would hold until such time that any third-party could *prove* better
title to the object.  In a worst case, we could be open to litigation
from the party with better title for compensation for the value of the
object.  For this reason. we have the objects appraised prior to
deaccessioning to provide proof of current market value at the time we
transfered legal title.

We have never had a problem arise (yet!), but I have heard stories of
other institution deaccessioning objects which turn out to have been in
loans 50 years ago - nasty when the lender's decendant comes a calling.

Richard Gerrard