Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:58:46 -0700
Kathy... Indeed there are many orphaned formats.  However none of them left the planet without years of dual existance.  i.e. 8" floppies co-existed years with the 3" floppies prior to their extinction.    Same with 2" video, which is still around is some video and duplication facilities to this day.

This gives one ample time to transfer your archived material from one medium to another.  There will be no overnight surprises.  My 78rpm records of Al Jolson and direct to disk recordings of the 50's and 60's?  Transferred to DAT or burned to CD for archival.  If those formats start being replaced by a new medium, I'll transfer them again - long before DAT and CD players are landfill.

Since the original question was archiving tapes, my suggestion was to transfer the material to a digital hard drive base medium, CD, DVD or other digital format to preserve the original quality with the least degradation and to avoid generation loss in the process.   Sound and creating and preserving masters of creative material has been my business for over 25 years, so I can only share with you what we in the music and film biz have learned over the years.

Terri