From:
"Arthur H. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:14:32 -0600
At 09:28 PM 6/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Do I misunderstand from the paragraph below  ...   Is it all right to copy
>works because the school can't afford it, and if the teacher didn't copy it,
>the student couldn't get the benefit of it???  The statement that "material
>handed out if a very limited portion of the work is your assumption but does
>not fit with the facts.

See Robert Baron's comments on the function of copyright law--it is not
solely to protect authors but also to advance knowledge, etc.

>Does "some people go overboard" mean "some teachers do violate the copyright
>law by copying materials?"

Of course--do you know any rule not violated by some?

>Is the opinion about software a legal one or just somebody's impression???

Obviously it's my  reading of the quoted section; it also is, I believe, a
widely used rule of thumb.  I think you'll find that legal opinions differ
somewhat and often are of the form, "likely the courts would hold...."

>Perhaps we need some legal opinion here rather than individual speculation
>and wishful thinking...  And justification for the copying...

Once again, read  "SECT107. Limitations on exclusive rights: fair use" as
provided by Robert Baron.

>george

Cheers,

Art Harris
Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0519
[log in to unmask]              (915) 747-6985
http://www.utep.edu/leb     http://www.utep.edu/museum