From:
"Searl, Marjorie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:30:49 -0400
My museum will be renewing its contract with a security company.  Several
staff members have wanted to consider employing non-uniformed "hosts" in
combination with uniformed officers in order to create a less
institutional-appearing environment.  We receive comments from visitors on a
regular basis that include complaints about being "followed around by
guards."

While we would never want to compromise the security of our museum, we are
open to evaluating ways in which we can reconfigure the security presence
and use alternative systems to create a more welcoming environment in the
galleries.

I would appreciate feedback from colleagues whose museums have incorporated
non-uniformed employees in a security role, with and without success.  With
many thanks -

Marjorie Searl
Memorial Art Gallery, University of Rochester