From:
"Waterbury, Cristin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:55:49 -0500
Hi Rachel,

I would also support Mick's hypothesis about this pin being an item
given to a shipyard worker in recognition for his work in some aspect of
ship production for the US government.  I have heard lots of anecdotal
evidence, if not much in the way of written documentation, that pins
like this and other little trinkets were given to shipyard workers in
this neck of the woods.

For some context, the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company was contracted to
produce 28 WWII submarines along with LCTs and other naval vessels, and
I've seen several pins (both in our collection and in private hands)
that are similar to the one your patron described.  (though most of ours
have submarines on them since that's what was most prominently produced
here) The pin was most likely produced and awarded by the shipbuilding
company itself, rather than the Navy or government.

You might want to try to determine what kind of vessel is featured on
the pin to find out more about what type of work the shipyard worker who
received it might have done.

In short, I would say the pin being a recognition piece is a fairly safe
assumption.  Did the patron's father work in the shipbuilding industry?

Good luck!

Cristin J. Waterbury
Registrar/Collections Manager
Wisconsin Maritime Museum