From:
Mark Hannah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 16:34:13 +1000
>Adrienne,
>
>I a mnot sure about whether placing a large general ad or specific ads is
>more appropriate.  My first instinct is to sya that depends on where you
>will be posting the ads and the local market. (popular press I would post
>one big ad with crossposting notices under different headings, because
>job seekers generaly look inthese publications under a number of
>different unstandardized headings and a professional press it would seeem
>to me to require specific ads because they have more standardized
>headings)  However, I am certian that 6 months is _not_ too early to
>advertize your jobs.  More and more people in this profession are working
>on grant funded projects and know exactly when their funding dries up and
>sometimes begin looking up to a year before their tenure runs out.  Young
>professionals as well know well ahead of time when they will graduate and
>begin looking well before they graduate.  6 months is not out of line as
>long as your forthright with all applicants as to what they can expect as
>far as a time table.  And as far as general ettiquette, I think that is
>the important rule.  Honesty and openness in terms of pay, employment
>duration, and basic job descriptions.  Remember you want them to perform
>well when hired, not just get them to answer an ad.  If you are vaque or
>secretive, they may feel cheated and disgruntled once hired.
>
>Just my 2 cents.
>
>These thoughts are mine and do not reflect the opinions of my employer,
>co-workers, employees, friends, relatives, or significant others.
>
>Matthew A. White
>Director of Education and Internship Coordinator
>Baltimore Museum of Industry
>1415 Key Highway
>Baltimore, MD 21230
>(410)727-4808

ComputerTalk - Still The One.......

ComputerTalk
Dr Gordon Land
GPO Box 337
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
Tel:+61 42 33 1896
http://ww.ozemail.com.au/~comptalk

ComputerTalk Magazine
Tony Curro
28 Vesey Street   STE 2250
New York, NY 10007-2906
Tel: +1(212)732-2838   FAX+1(212) 233-7718
http://www.inx.net/~ctalk

MuiscTalk
Mark Hannah
GPO Box 337