From:
Ian Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 21:54:40 GMT
I'm sure I'm not the only one to be driven to egregious fury by Rebecca
bubenas' postings of multiple picture attachments to Museums-L mail. I have
been away for a few days and have a backlog of mail over 100 messsages long.
I have spent the last 4 HOURS trying to read them, but can I ? NO!!! I have
a whole shitload of PICTURES of sculpture and cathedrals trying to download
at the velocity of a slug on tuinol and my connection times out before they
finish, so everytime I reconnect it starts from the beginning of the
message. This means I am effectively blocked from my mailbox and will need
to speak to my servers techies before I can get the rest - I can't jump over
messages - they have to download in sequence. Thank you, Rebecca, for a
wasted evening ( I missed a lecture I wanted to see trying to sort the mess
out to get to the vital stuff in my mail) I would have expected a better
grasp of netiquet from this list - if you have pics DON'T just hurl them out
sucking everyone's bandwidth - post a message that you have them and that
anyone who wants to see should mail you for them. Not all of us are getting
this down an ISDN line to a workstation - I'm on my own home phone with a
486, so it is not only frustrating - it's EXPENSIVE - Do Getty have a grant
scheme for paying my phone bill ? As this is a civiised and supposedly
professional list I hope no-one resorts to mailbombing, although I know
other lists where such behaviour would have resulted in an instant response
of that nature, a transgression almost as offensive as the original sin.

IAN SIMMONS

- A mind stretched by new ideas never returns to the same shape

                                        - RALPH WALDO EMERSON