From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:22:53 EST
Wrong...there are jobs in curation without that higher doctorate degree.  As
suggested,
many times smaller museums offer curation positions to those having only a BS
(and often not even in the area of curation).

I obtained my present position in a pretty good sized living history museum
with only a BS (History), but since have obtained my MS in Museology.  In
fact, at my current position (there are only three of us here with MS
degrees) and some of those without a degree or with a BS are paid more than
we are.

So it depends on where you want to make money or do what you want to do.
Myself, I'm thinking of going where the money is at....and to heck with the
fun or doing what I want to do.  Money speaks....show me the money. ;o)

Best, John Martinson
Curator of Collections