Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:45:05 -0800
What kinds of things motivate people to choose to do something that may
impede the very process for which it's intended?

Good intentions and the lack of understanding "systems thinking."  In
general terms, this means trying to look at a series of possible solutions
for a problem and considering the long term implications of those solutions.
Intuitively this makes sense. But most problems occur in fast paced
environment with people moving at the speed of life and let's be honest, not
everyone is intriniscally motivated, people bring to the table of series of
unknown variables that play themselves out during the course of any problem
solving agenda.

We can educate ourselves about systems thinking and attempt to release our
foot off the accelorator a bit, but as we grow older and become stubbord, we
either have found happiness within ourselves are realize we are like our
parents.

Take for example, the increasing emphasis of the fast paced work
environment.  The "you are your own company mindset", the "sell yourself"
and be prepared to shift and change jobs quickly.  It is the faces of the
covers of magazines asking your why your not a millionnaire yet or why you
don't get erect over a rise in the stock market.

What kind of message does this send to say; teachers, professors (which are
always pissed that they aren't making enough money for how smart they are),
even doctors or shop keepers, they don't want to move from job to job.  What
kind effects does this always changing economy, although fantastic for
anyone who can technologically make-love with any hardware and software
program, may be difficult for those still entrenched it what could be called
"jobs of the old economy."

But nothing I've said is new and we all contribute to some part of it.  It
is nice to in the company of friends, to feel accepted and welcomed, to have
the chance to work hard and reap the benefits of your efforts, to acquire
independence while engaging in teamwork.

If you have any comments please respond to [log in to unmask]