From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:01:37 -0500
Cheyl,

When I was at Colonial wiliamsburg there were observable effects from cannon firing demonstrations. Most noticably these occured in 1983 during the economic sumit of the Industrialized nations when Ronald Regan came to town - the US military brought in modern howitzers on Palace Green for the wlcoming ceremonies for each world leader. as I remember some original panes of 18th century glass were cracked and objects vibrated and danced off of shelves in nearby structures. Snce w had an aggressive collectons monitoring policy we were able to pick up on these effects immediately during the rehearsal firings and convince the ver significant powers that be to point the muzzles in a slightloy altered direction and to lessen the charge in the cannons.

n addition to this we also had more modeate effects from the daily cannon demonstration during the daily militia musters.

Many of the folks who demonstrate canon fire love, of course, to get the biggest possible bang. S it i prudent to set hard limits on the size of their charge and to enforce that. it is also prudent to restrict the direction in which the muzzle is pointed - hopefuly towards trees and bushes rather than at visitors or historic structures!

cheers!
dave

David Harvey
Artifacts